[AusNOG] Recovering "disconnected" POTS number??

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Nov 28 14:56:41 EST 2017

> Possibly ask telstra for a exchange based diversion.

They tried this first thing aparantly. The person on the other end of the phone
said that the number is "gone" and that they cannot do an exchange based
divert. I think this sounds like "level 1 helldesk being obnoxious and
complainant not knowing any better".

A little more information - it appears this is the "your 18 months are up, we
are now disconnectings your stuff" because nbn was ready in this area 18 months
ago.

The building this business runs from does not have nbn connected or available
to the occupants, it has been "caught up in" the process of killing off those
who "should have moved by now".

The building is supplied internet via another (wireless) provider.

The customer says that they've had this number, and a telstra service for over
40 years, but according to telstra (now) "they don't exist".

I've suggested they call the tio immediately, at least they should be put in
touch with someone in telstra who is a bit above a level-1 script reader, and
may be able to resolve it in short order. Even if it is only reinstating the
number and doing a divert. (Then we can port it out).

Thanks for the assistance from everyone.

R.