[AusNOG] High availability options for terminating point-to-point Ethernet (on Cisco CE)

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Mon May 29 11:10:36 EST 2017

What is the goal or outcome the customer wants? As the OP said, HA. HA
solutions don't have *any* SPOFs.

You've added the risk of complexity and potentially unexpected feature
interactions that may negate the benefits your solution provides.
(Have you tested what you proposed through all the failure modes? Will
you test it before deploying a firmware upgrade, because Juniper may
not realise anybody us using VRRP/BGP in this manner, and therefore
won't test that combination before they do their firmware releases?)

As a general rule, I think a good upgrade cycle to aim for is one
upgrade every 6 to 12 months. If the customer can't tolerate a e.g.,
10 minute service outage once every 6 months for a device upgrade,
then they need two of everything i.e., no SPOFs, or they need to lower
their service availability expectations.