[AusNOG] High availability options for terminating point-to-point Ethernet (on Cisco CE)

Simon Dixon simon at dicko.net.au
Fri May 26 09:05:59 EST 2017

Have a look at Juniper's MX5/MX80 platform.

I've set it up in two ways to do what you need, both with around 1 second
failover time when a router fails or is taken out of service.

The first being MLAG between 2 x MX5/MX80 routers with the customer
interfaced terminated in a irb. (SVI for Cisco people)

The second is to use VPLS,  you can put the customer VLAN into a VPLS
circuit with the same site id and weight one router as primary and the
other as backup,  and then place a irb interface into this for the
customers L3 services.

As its two physical routers you don't need to worry about chassis failures
if you go for that option with multiple RE's/Linecards, and with VPLS the
Routers don't even need to be in the same DC, which is nice if you have 2
head ends for HA from the wholesale ethernet provider.

Simon.