[AusNOG] Offsite Backup Recommendations

Andrew McN andrew at mcnaughty.com
Mon May 15 00:05:13 EST 2017

If you had a backup system with crashplan, and it wasn't working, and
you didn't know that, then who is to blame really?  This is not to say
that your position is unusual.

Backup systems that don't work are not quite the rule, but not
exceptional either.  Maybe one in three?  Most backup systems I've seen
never get tested until they are needed, so even quite simple
configuration issues can be critical in otherwise sound systems.

I don't really have anything to say about crashplan either way, but my
first hunch would be to check the setup at your end.  Do you have
traffic logs or something of the sort that could be used to check if the
traffic volume to crashplan was as expected?  If it was a mistake at
your end, there may be no good reason to start over rather than making
an incremental fix.

However your backups are done, you need to monitor them.  At a minimum,
you should be sure of getting alerts if expected backups are not in
storage with less than some threshold age, and more than some threshold
size.

Regards,
Andrew McNaughton