[AusNOG] The Ransomware to come

James Hodgkinson yaleman at ricetek.net
Sat May 13 13:59:26 EST 2017

Security is normally talked about with regards to Confidentiality,
Integrity and Accessibility. Encryption, Cryptography (and other methods
for Non-repudiation) and Service availability are all very much in the
class of "solved problems" for those that care, and in many cases solved
on behalf of those that don't.
Leaving local file sharing services open to the internet, not patching
critical vulnerabilities  (nearly two months to the day) and wondering
why things get onto your network? Anyone that doesn't build a roof over
their head is going to get wet when it rains. That's not even having
your pants on the right way around at this point.
Every current operating system has a host-based firewall which is either
on by default or easy to enable. SSL's entirely free, and unless you go
out of your way to turn off updates or these other systems, then you're
fine. I know a couple of environments which haven't patched, but the
only way for this to hit them is for a bunch of other simple-to-implement-but-hard-to-
bypass controls to be manually disconnected.
What security could we  build into the protocol that isn't already in
the layers available? I'd love to know, so I can start helping to
make it work.
James