[AusNOG] Optus NBN HFC lease time 5 minutes....

Craig O'Toole cotoole at remex.com.au
Sat May 13 09:08:47 EST 2017

CORECTION **** Sorry, not weeks on old HCF, but more like 10 hours.... the
IPs didn't change for weeks....

> All optus DHCP Leases on the NBN are 5 minutes. If they are a
> business, request a Static IP Address.

They are not a business, they are a home office and residence using a VoIP
phone and a VPN to work. This is the correct use of the product.

Optus and Telstra had lease times of weeks on HFC.  Why has this needed to
change since moving to NBN... Is this for all NBN HFC endpoints? Can
anyone on-list say whether this is this an RSP or NBN configuration
choice?

@Stephen; Residential users should have reliable and robust internet
regardless if it is dynamic IP or not. It would appear to me and I would
welcome advice from others that;
The Optus NBN product with dynamic addressing and DHCP with a 5 minutes
lease time provides a service which is less unreliable for what should be
normal home internet use.

Information contained in this email is intended for the addressees only.

dangerous content by EXL - Internet with a difference, and is
believed to be clean.