[AusNOG] Prediction: Google et. al. may artificially penalise IPv4 clients

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Tue May 2 14:32:09 EST 2017

On Tue, 2 May 2017, Mark Smith wrote:

> Why do you think DHCPv6 support is important to enterprise networks?
> What do they need it for?

I will defer to the admins who posted in
https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/36949085 but in short, they made
the choice, the RFCs support them (if you ignore the RFC co-written by the
Android developer to support his own position), they're not going to
change their minds. If nothing else, refusing to support DHCPv6 prevents
implementing DHCPv6-PD which would help with the very feature (USB
tethering) he says will break if he implements DHCPv6. 464xlat is the
other thing that won't work, but IPv4 translation is for the network
provider to manage anyway.

OK, I read the thread for you, and one notes that Cisco only recently
added RDNSS support, but it won't make it to older hardware. Device
tracking is another, keeping ND caches is not a good solution compared to
DHCP logs. Another post "the network admin wishes to apply DNS updates,
modify firewall rules, etc. when a lease is established and therefore
chooses stateful addressing via DHCPv6; the network offers additional
information/services beyond trivial RAs (e.g., time zone, NTP servers,
printers, PXE boot, SMTP servers, etc.), and therefore sets the O bit in
RAs"

Please note: I do not run one of these networks, my interest is more in
pointing out that the decisions of a single man can greatly affect IPv6
rollout across the world and there's basically nothing you or I can do
about it.

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |