[AusNOG] Blocking consumer phone calls to 'high risk' destinations - who does it?

Narelle narellec at gmail.com
Thu Mar 23 16:55:43 EST 2017

Hi everyone
we've had some consumer queries after being caught out calling the
Seychelles on premium numbers so the concept of blocking high risk
destinations has come up again.

So I'm doing a quick shout out to see how common it is, and to hear (off
list) of various views on the topic.

I seem to recall it being the norm in the deep dark past for a couple of
destinations and I note iinet and Aussie Broadband have these pages
advising they do it. BTW Telstra advise they don't as a rule.

iinet:
https://iihelp.iinet.net.au/High_risk_call_blocking_explained

Aussie Broadband…
https://www.aussiebroadband.com.au/faqs/voice-over-ip-voip/do-you-safeguard-my-voip-phone-system-by-blocking-high-risk-calls/

No judgement here, either way, only that consumers should be advise if you
do this, and how they can opt out.

Please let me know if you do it, and where to, and how consumers are
advised,

regards

--

Narelle Clark