[AusNOG] The Philippines SIP providers

Roy Adams roy at racs.com.au
Thu Mar 23 15:31:39 EST 2017

Hey everyone.. My 2 cents here re VoIP after being here sorting PH-AU
issues now for almost 4 years.
Thanks Mike for prodding me.. been meaning to join the lst for more years
than I can think...

UDP SIP also suffers with some Aussie IP's being 450ms+ RTT if routed via
regular BGP paths.
LFP/LFN issues are a huge problem most of the time for TCP stuff.

ComClark ISP here now have a dedicated link to Telstra Australia now Via
Telstra Global/HK.
ComClark do not peer with anyone or advertise this as an Aussie BGP
preference.
Nobody really officially knows about it, but if you are a BUSINESS LINK
subscriber with ComClark/Converge here, you can request to have the target
Australian subnet/net you need to get to added to their *Aussie Link*
routing.
This transit/path is 167ms RTT from Philippines to AU *IF* you have
symmetric routing... a lot better than most PH ISP's.
If your Aussie subnet/net is with an ISP that peers with Telstra, you will
most-likely also get 167ms RTT back to Philippines to your ComClark IP's
being symmetric.
Telstra does seem to offer BGP preferencing in Australia to this
ComClark/TelstraGlobal link for ComClark Public IP addresses
As noted above, ComClark will only send Australian-targetted traffic from
PH to AU via this link only if requested, and only if it is a business link
If asymmetric, typically it usually comes back via Los Angeles,USA then
Osaka,Japan before getting to PH

NOTE. ComClark only give Public IP's to business links.
All residential stuff here with ComClark is private IP behind a walled
garnet using CGNAT

Cheers

ROY ADAMS* | *P 07 3040 5010  | Web  http://www.racs.com.au/ | Wiki
https://ex.racs.com.au:444/ | EMail mailto:roy at racs.com.au <roy at racs.com.au>