[AusNOG] Australia ranks 50th in the world for average internet speeds at 9.6Mbps...

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 12:43:23 EST 2017

Average B/W is meaningless. Firstly, it doesn't consider geography, where
average B/W per km might be less meaningless. Consider population densities
(per sq mile) of the top ranking countries versus Australia:

Korea, South    501
Hong Kong       6735
Norway          15
Sweden          57
Switzerland     490
Singapore       18,645
Japan           339
Finland         17
Netherlands     491
Latvia          35

Australia       2

However any average B/W metrics will continue in their meaninglessness,
while urban Australia is lumped in with Rural and Regional, while in terms
of internet service, they may as well be two separate countries. If there
were separate metrics for Urban Australia, and then Rural/Regional
Australia, we'd likely find Urban Australia well up in the first world
country stakes, and R&R languishing somewhere alongside Chad. I had thought
the primary motivation of NBN had always been to provide carriage to R&R
areas, but actually they seem intent mostly on capturing a monopoly in the
final mile. Weird.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins