[AusNOG] Australia ranks 50th in the world for average internet speeds at 9.6Mbps...

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 07:32:18 EST 2017

That's terrible! We should force customers to spend more money on their
broadband, or take pay cuts so they can have more within what they're
willing to pay.

However, if you look at section 8 about mobile broadband, we're number 1 is
ASPAC (somewhat remarkable to me given Japan and Korea's presence), and
also surpass the average performance of all of the Americas.

Americas: Canada, 10.3 Mbps
Asia Pacific: Australia, 13.8 Mbps
Europe: United Kingdom, 26.8 Mbps
Middle East/Africa: United Arab Emirates, 17.2 Mbps

What does that say about where broadband capex in Australia is being spent?
It is being spent on mobile because that's where the customers' want to
spend their money for more performance.

Believe in a technology all you want, but it will only be a successful
technology in a market if it is solving a problem that customers are
willing to pay to have solved.