[AusNOG] NBN VDSL Speeds | Line Sync | Determining Max Throughput

Ben Cummings bcummings at clublinks.com.au
Wed Mar 15 00:08:17 EST 2017

Thank you all for taking the time to reply, I really appreciate your quick and informative responses.

So my understanding now is that Maximum Line Rate/Attainable Rate ? Line Sync Rate.
And to avoid a hypothetical scenario where I get stuck on a contract paying for a 50Mbps service, that will only ever allow me to see 30Mbps - I need to connect a modem that shows the maximum attainable rate, to see what I can actually achieve.

Unfortunately it doesn't appear my new learning project provides that information (unless a VDSL connection shows detail than a ADSL connection does) - so I'll have to borrow something to examine that further.

But I'm very much looking forward to being able to push through more than 13/0.8 !

bcummings at the320> show interfaces at-2/0/0 extensive
--snip--
  ADSL status:
    Modem status  : Showtime (Adsl2plus)
    DSL mode      :     Auto    Annex A
    Last fail code: None
    Subfunction   : 0x00
    Seconds in showtime : 73848
  ADSL Chipset Information:               ATU-R                  ATU-C
    Vendor Country :                       0xb5                   0xb5
    Vendor ID      :                       BDCM                   BDCM
    Vendor Specific:                     0x9385                 0xa1f2
  ADSL Statistics:                        ATU-R                  ATU-C
    Attenuation (dB)         :             31.0                   18.0
    Capacity used (%)        :                0                      0
    Noise margin (dB)        :              6.0                    7.5
    Output power (dBm)       :             19.0                   12.0

                                  Interleave       Fast  Interleave       Fast
    Bit rate (kbps)   :                15128          0        1087          0
    CRC               :                    0        474           0          0
    FEC               :                    0          0           0          0
    HEC               :                24722          0           0          0
    Received cells    :            544249614          0
    Transmitted cells :            108703718          0

Thanks again everyone.

Kind Regards,

Ben Cummings
Clublinks