[AusNOG] VDSL equivalent to TP-Link TD-8817 for use in bridge mode

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Mon Mar 13 15:54:06 EST 2017

Yeah the Vigor 130 is awesome, with one caveat - it struggles to maintain
sync if you're 'too' close to the node.  The one I had was rock-solid when
I was 590m to the node.  When we shifted to our current place, which is
only 90m to the node, it refused to maintain sync for more than ~30 minutes
at a time).  They also sync slightly lower than other modems.. (58/17 at
our previous place, compared to 63/21 on a TG799 and NF4V).

I'm using a Huawei HG658 at the moment, and it's quite rock solid in bridge
mode - with the caveat that any port you put into bridge with the PTM
interface drops out of the LAN bridge, so you need TWO ethernet ports
connected, if you want to be able to manage the device while in bridge mode.

The NF4V is a horrendous router, but does ok in bridge mode - though I've
seen it do strange things where it won't actually bridge to the LAN unless
there's an active PPPOE session up on the modem itself.

If the customer isn't too close to the node, I'd definitely go the 130,
because once you load the vectoring firmware (make sure you do!), it 'just
works'.  If they are close to the node, I'd use the HG658.

On 13 March 2017 at 15:48, Benjamin Ricardo <ben.ricardo at acs.net.au> wrote:

> Draytek Vigor 130
>
> Get it from I-Lan technologies in Sydney they should be less than $100
>
> We use them everywhere exactly as you described.
>

> Cheers,
>
> Ben

Damien Gardner Jnr
VK2TDG. Dip EE. GradIEAust