[AusNOG] Is there such thing as peering with Telstra in Australia

James Andrewartha trs80 at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au
Thu Mar 2 16:14:02 EST 2017

Hi Paul,

On Thu, 2 Mar 2017, Paul Holmanskikh wrote:

> Is there any way to peer with Telsta AS1221 within Australia? They are not
> present on any IX in Australia. But it seems the only way to peer with Telstra
> is to buy transit from them.But transit from Telstra costs absolutely insane
> money. I'm looking for peering because Telstra's customers generates good
> amount of traffic on our transit links.

No. Since you're not a member of the Gang of Four, Telstra has no
obligation or desire to peer with you (or anyone else). Some history:

http://blog.internode.on.net/2011/05/16/peering-policy-gaps-nbn/

"Historically, the ACCC recognised this problem in 1998 and took
enforcement action to require peering between IP networks. However, the
determination made at the time was fatally flawed. The ACCC decided
(incorrectly) at the time that the (then) dominant four players had to
peer – but no requirement was placed upon those four to peer with anyone
else, ever. All subsequent requests and attempts to peer with Telstra and
Optus since then have been rejected by those network providers."

See also https://blog.cloudflare.com/bandwidth-costs-around-the-world/

# UCC Wheel Member     http://trs80.ucc.asn.au/ #|  what squirrels do best     |