[AusNOG] Government intends to pass TSSR this parliament

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Sun Jun 18 20:03:16 EST 2017

NIST considers 2048-bit keyed RSA encryption, properly implemented, to be
secure until 2030.

2048-bit keyed RSA takes ~2.4b times as long to crack by brute force than
1024-bit. 3072-bit key implementations are already out there, and I am sure
4096-bit is already possible.

On the jump from 1024 to 2048 bit keying - if you could break 1024-bit
encryption in one second, 2048-bit would take something north of 70 years.

The govt isn't saying "Hold my beer, we've got this" - they are asking
companies to help them, because they acknowledge they can't do it
themselves.