[AusNOG] Government intends to pass TSSR this parliament

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at mmc.com.au
Fri Jun 16 03:43:11 EST 2017

On Thu, Jun 15, 2017 at 6:08 AM, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Thales nShield Connect provides FIPs 140-2 grade security to distributed
> hosts. Keys are distributed using an encrypted remote file system.
>
> So people advising government will be thinking of architectures where a
> government escrow server is an additional client. Give it Moore's law,
> technical advances, and the march of time, it's inevitable one day you'll
> need a license to run crypto services.
>
> And I find the assumption of bad faith from government bewildering. It's
> been said democracy is a terrible system, it's just better than all other
> systems of government. But you hardly have grounds to complain if you won't
> engage in constructive public debate, which is how government policy
> actually happens, regardless of what some might think.

Who's "you" in this context?  Brandis, Shorten, Turnbull et al are the ones
who seem uninterested in a constructive public debate with people who have
an ACTUAL understanding of this. They seem quite keen on rushing this
through (just as they did with the meta data bullshit) without ANY actual
informed debate.

We've had many years since 2001 of governments succumbing to/using the
"terrorist" buzzword to undermine privacy and rights in general.  We'll
give up privacy here BUT IT STILL WONT BE ENOUGH, so they'll come back in
another year saying we need to give up more.

The theme here is that the government knowing more hasn't changed anything,
or worse, them knowing more hasn't made them more competent at their job -
no one asks "well, we gave up all these other privacies and rights because
you said it'd make us safer, but you're saying it hasn't and now we need to
give up more?"

I call bullshit on the whole thing - from immigration policy, to giving up
meta data, to the government wanting EXTRAORDINARY powers to coerce,
detain, reject citizens, strip citizenship with no recourse.  Not a single
part of this has made us safer or society better.  And that's because
politics has descended into a revolting human hating mess.

We need to look in the other direction and stop falling for this crap - we
need to make society stronger so that we value it and value each other so
that we're more likely to want look after each other and each other's
children.

The Australian government does not need more powers to intercept.
Australian Politicians need to focus on building a strong, diverse, society
that values each other's similarities AND differences and celebrates that.

Stop falling for this distraction and focus on the important stuff.  It's
harder to do but much more worthwhile.

MMC