[AusNOG] Government intends to pass TSSR this parliament

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Tue Jun 13 22:58:03 EST 2017

On 13 Jun 2017, at 7:53 pm, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Firstly, we need to recognise the authority of the State is necessary for security and freedom.

As a concept, and as a question of degree, that claim is quite heavily contested.

You're not going to get away with hand waving your way past it without defining your terms and describing where you think the limits are.

I know I don't need to recognise the authority if the State to monitor my communications to assure anybody's security and freedom. Pretty sure I don't need my government to monitor yours either. It's reasonable to expect that any privileges granted to them to produce secure and free outcomes should be narrowly tailored.

Hard to do that at the moment because they haven't even bothered to explain what they intend to do with the powers they're demanding.

Authoritarians rarely feel the need to justify themselves: Authority is something that should be felt, not something that should be questioned.

    - mark