[AusNOG] What are we going to do about IoT (in)security?

Jonathan Brewer jon.brewer at gmail.com
Tue Jun 13 17:47:45 EST 2017

On 13 June 2017 at 18:11, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:

> On 06/13/2017 02:53 PM, Jake Anderson wrote:
>
>> I envisage some kind of discovery protocol that runs when the device is
>> plugged in, to register with the gateway, the customers smart phone then
>> goes "ping" asking them to accept the device.
>>

> Nobody has implemented, or will implement, that discovery protocol, so
> it's a complete non-starter.

Perhaps I could introduce you to some resources?

https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc7452
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lear-mud-framework-00

The second, in particular, is worthwhile reading if you think device
registration is a non-starter.

I stand by my previous point.

*The IoT revolution will not be Wi-Fi enabled.*

But there are some tools if you insist on Wi-Fi connected smart devices.

They are ok. This is fine.

-JB