[AusNOG] What are we going to do about IoT (in)security?

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Mon Jun 12 11:31:43 EST 2017

On 12Jun17, Warren Bold | Polyfone Telecom Pty Ltd allegedly wrote:

> The only way that can be an acceptable answer is if their internal IT security is as broken as their product security.

As an earlier poster showed, it's entirely acceptable to at least one
home DVR manufacturer. We all know there are many more in the same
boat.

In any event, deeming acceptability or not isn't of much value. Over
the last 2-3 decades of commercial Internet I have to say that
tut-tutting unacceptable behaviour has had close to a 100% failure
rate at effecting change.

IOW, I don't think tut-tutting will fix our IoT security problems.

Mark.