[AusNOG] Google Email Contact

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Sun Jun 11 13:42:57 EST 2017

On 11 June 2017 at 12:19, Scott Weeks <surfer at mauigateway.com> wrote:

> --- phillip.grasso at gmail.com wrote:
> From: Phillip Grasso <phillip.grasso at gmail.com>
>
> Network engineers as we know it is an endangered species.
>

> Yes, become a better programmer or become irrelevant. :-)

What are you going to program when the network programs itself?

Autonomic Networking Integrated Model and Approach (anima)
https://datatracker.ietf.org/wg/anima/about/

"Charter for Working Group

Autonomic networking refers to the self-managing characteristics
(configuration, protection, healing, and optimization) of distributed
network elements, adapting to unpredictable changes while hiding
intrinsic complexity from operators and users. Autonomic Networking,
which often involves closed-loop control, is applicable to the complete
network (functions) lifecycle (e.g. installation, commissioning,
operating, etc). An autonomic function that works in a distributed way
across various network elements is a candidate for protocol design. ..."

If people are sceptical, consider which is a harder problem to solve
and which one has been so nearly completely solved that there are
retail products available to the public

- having a network discover its topology and distribute resources such
as IP prefixes to suit?

- self driving cars on public roads