[AusNOG] NBN and CVC

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Mon Jul 31 13:25:37 EST 2017

On 30Jul17, Matthew Moyle-Croft allegedly wrote:
> I???m fairly certain that billing systems of this scale are pretty doable and not a limiting factor and isn???t a reason to not do this.

Right.

What I was thinking is that NBN charges each RSP per byte - that's
billing/polling a couple of 100 RSPs at the NNI which strikes me as
very tractable.

Most RSPs already do per-service usage tracking, so nothing new there.

My main suggestion is that NBNCo does not apply any limits to the RSP
- thus taking it out of the equation wrt performance. If the RSP wants
to limit at the NNI or at the service, that's entirely a matter for
them and the PR hit they might take as a consequence.

As Bevan rightly says of course, forcing NBNCo to be "profitable" is
probably the biggest constraint to any real structural change to the
pricing model.

Mark.