[AusNOG] Solomon Islands loses landing rights for a cable in Sydney

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Thu Jul 27 18:00:31 EST 2017

On 27/07/2017 17:43, Jonathan Brewer wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2017 at 12:37, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:
>
>> A submarine cable connecting Sydney to the Solomon Islands is being refused a landing permit in Sydney because it's being built by Huawei.
>>
>> http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politics/political-news/australia-refuses-to-connect-to-undersea-cable-built-by-chinese-company-20170726-gxj9bf.html
>>
>> So, uh, don't do that then, hey?
>
> You mean don't land in Australia, right?
>
> We've got plenty of Huawei in New Zealand networks, including our UFB network. (That's the one I get 1000/500 fibre service from for about AUD $110/month). Guess what? It works. And it doesn't come with any more spyware than Cisco or Juniper.
>
> What's the Australian government's problem? Is it protectionism? Racism? Something else?
>
> -JB

They are quite happy for NSA and GCHQ to know our every moves it seems,
but not the CSS

I'd be sure to find more spyware in cisco and other USA gear, than in
Huawei's.

Besides, Washington probably told them not to trust them, but in same
breath say "trust us with our spyware" yeah right, the entire USA govt
is like a bad rerun of the apprentice.

--
Kind Regards,

Noel Butler

 		This Email, including any attachments, may contain legally privileged
information, therefore remains confidential and subject to copyright
protected under international law. You may not disseminate, discuss, or
reveal, any part, to anyone, without the authors express written
authority to do so. If you are not the intended recipient, please notify
the sender then delete all copies of this message including attachments,
immediately. Confidentiality, copyright, and legal privilege are not
waived or lost by reason of the mistaken delivery of this message. Only
PDF [1] and ODF [2] documents accepted, please do not send proprietary
formatted documents

Links:
------
[1] http://www.adobe.com/