[AusNOG] OT? Council Public WiFi ACMA Liability

Jason Ross jason at ethisec.com.au
Mon Jul 3 16:46:04 EST 2017

This document may help clarify this a little:

http://www.acma.gov.au/~/media/Networks/Publication/pdf/Know%20Your%20Telecommunications%20Industry%20Obligations%20Booklet.pdf

I'd have thought at best that they would be a CSP.

Jason
>>> Mark Currie <MCurrie at laserfast.com.au> 3/07/2017 12:20 PM >>>
Hi Noggers,

Sorry if slightly,  OT, but not sure who else to ask for a quick
answer/opinion.

Just had a question from a local council we are providing some Wifi kit
for a semi public Wifi service (only within council buildings such as
pool etc).

“A question was raised to us this morning in regards to the public WiFi
tender and our legal grounds as a carrier based on the
telecommunications act.
I'm a little dubious on it (If its actually a valid concern or not).”

Does anyone out there know what the liability of a local ouncil would
be in relation to the act and the ACMA, and if they would/could be
regarded as a carrier?

Thanks,
Mark Currie