[AusNOG] What Cyber Security Knowledge is best for 2017+

Glenn Hocking glenn.hocking at woosaw.com
Tue Jan 24 19:28:07 EST 2017

Hi List

Ok don't get upset, just respond with some positive thoughts, or press your email client delete key!

I have been doing Internet hosting since 1994 when ICANN gave me a class C IP range 'for free' to
use with my SCO Unix connected servers. Yes it was free back then. Even domain names were free, and
registrar policies that meant you were NOT allowed to actually sell domain names for profit.
Different world!!!

Anyways, these days no money in small intensive hosting so much, too many AWS or other big players
doing low cost hosting that really does not provide income for being a lone hands on Internet
service manager. OK maybe I'm not so good as a business person, understand the technical side though
me thinks.

So I'm thinking I will sell off my customers, some been with me since 1994, who pay me monthly for
infrastructure and service (Please contact me off list if you keen on acquiring, 30K a month from 2
racks) and getting in to Cyber Security. (Malcolm contact me off list :-)

So the guts of this email (after between the lines marketing) is,

What do the list think as the key components to Cyber Security for 2017 going forward?

What courses/software/technology is current best practice for good cyber security that 'the people'
want need. If I was to up skill to earn more $ what is the way forward? What does the high end
employers on this list want from their security team.

Just asking.....

Cheers

--
Glenn Hocking | Managing Director