[AusNOG] FlexVPN

Steve Hille steve at kararconsulting.com
Wed Jan 18 22:14:46 EST 2017

Hi all,

I have a brief question about FlexVPN - we are starting to deploy a lot more IPSEC sites and I'd like to look at simplifying it a bit, I usually use IP SLA in case the main link fails we have a 3G backup, at present because the tunnels are built with static IP addresses it means the users have to connect to the VPN until the hardened connection is back up (and it's very rare that they go down thankfully).

I'm using a lot of Cisco 1941's with a 4G HWIC, I'm assuming that setting up FlexVPN will allow the tunnel back to the VPN termination router to be built no matter if we have the hardened link up or if that hardened link has failed, I'm assuming it will pick the tunnel back up using the cellular connection? I just set 2 static routes down the tunnel for our internal traffic and stick a higher metric on the cellular route?

Thanks in advance.

Steve