[AusNOG] Anyone know of VPN's being bandwidth managed (throttled)

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Sun Jan 8 14:03:19 EST 2017

On 8 January 2017 at 12:50, Peter Tiggerdine <ptiggerdine at gmail.com> wrote:
> I would think most people are using CPU software encryption these
> days.

I showed that CPU software encryption these days is likely to be a lot
fast than you might think. My 2009 era CPU is capable of 105 MiB/s or
around 800 Mbps crypto throughput.

If you're specifically going to use crypto today, the price of
hardware crypto is one of these cheap Intel compute sticks for around
$120 to $150.

http://ark.intel.com/products/91065/Intel-Compute-Stick-STK1AW32SC?_ga=1.134383985.1003419038.1470461640

http://ark.intel.com/products/87383/Intel-Atom-x5-Z8300-Processor-2M-Cache-up-to-1_84-GHz

> How many firewalls come with crypto cards out of the box?

If your firewall is using an Intel CPU from the past 5 years, there is
very likely an AES engine on the CPU.

People need to realise that special things, if there is enough demand
for it, become normal, out-of-the-box things, as it is one of the ways
a vendor can make their product more attractive over a competitor's.

If people aren't enabling crypto because they assume the overhead is
too high, without making any current observations, measurements or
calculations, then their viewpoint is stuck in the 1990s and 2000s.

Crypto was special 15 years ago, however Intel and AMD have made it a
standard feature of most general purpose CPUs, including ones in
laptops, and low end ones such as Atoms and Celerons. Hardware crypto
is no where near as special and expensive as it used to be. For many
devices, if it isn't available to use, it's a software availability or
licensing problem.

https://ark.intel.com/search/advanced?AESTech=true