[AusNOG] Mandatory data breach notification will become law in Australia

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Tue Feb 28 10:12:41 EST 2017

On Mon, 27 Feb 2017, Matt Smee wrote:

> Why can't these things not be decided on profit.

Ahh, but there seems to be an increasing number of "big business" that
does all sorts of dodgy but "legal" things, that results in them having
virtually no "profit" in the country they'd be TAXED in. You know,
inter-company billing for "services" rendered...

So you'd probably have an increase in the number of companies exploiting
such loopholes so they didn't have to comply with this legislation either.

While I agree with the concept of regulation based on "profitability", I'm
just not sure it works in practice.