[AusNOG] NBN Satellite Latency

Greg McLennan mclennan at internode.on.net
Fri Feb 3 17:56:43 EST 2017

That sounds about right for that type of service.
Everyone needs to remember the basics when it comes to pinging over a geo satellite.

Initial ping packet goes up to bird( Lets say 125ms for sake of simplicity).
Packet comes down +125ms
Ping gets processed by device-x!!
Ping response goes back up +125ms
Ping responce comes down +125ms
 The Initiating device displays ping as 500ms in this over simplified solution.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Ace 3 on the Telstra 4G network