[AusNOG] NBN/ACMA fines etc

mike at ozonline.com.au mike at ozonline.com.au
Fri Dec 22 15:41:05 EST 2017

Quoting Ross Wheeler <ausnog at rossw.net>:

> On Fri, 22 Dec 2017, mike at ozonline.com.au wrote:
>
>> So when an ISP cops a TIO complaint because of an NBN tech non-appearance,
>> are you suggesting the NBN is in any way accountable subject to the TIO
>> scheme?
>
> That's got nothing to do with nbn being a member of the tio or not.
> Exactly the same thing happens now when an ISP has a service
> provisioned and a telstra tech doesn't turn up. You can't lodge the
> complaint against telstra unless telstra are the isp.
>
> It's the tio "bill the biller" policy, along with all its flaws.
>
> A person CAN lodge a complaint directly against the nbn where it's a
> land-access dispute.
>
> nbn ARE members of the tio scheme, the fact the average user can't
> lodge a complaint against them is unrelated.
>
> R.

Ross, I didn't say NBN weren't members.

What I was driving at was in spite of many and varied issues of substandard
delivery,  NBN themselves are unaccountable to the TIO in respect of
this poor delivery.

That this exemption from accountability is due to them being a
wholesale provider/carrier is due to rules and structures put in place
by Government thats net affect is to make NBN unaccountable.

Had the Government wished it could have enabled RSPs to "pass through"
NBN TIO complaints to NBN where NBN was financially liable rather than
RSPs.

So by structure NBN is not subject to the same rigours as RSPs.

My question, perhaps better expressed, is the NBN similarly
unaccountable to ACMA, being a wholesale carrier.

Kind regards

Michael
Australia On Lie