[AusNOG] Au > South Africa Customer Link

Tin, James jtin at akamai.com
Wed Dec 20 22:12:57 EST 2017

Hi Cameron
The team at Akamai recently deployed some acceleration services for an Australian business who had users in UK, India, Philippines and other far away locations to applications running in Sydney.
The users are accountants and business analysts running fat client apps. The customer had deployed VDI to attempt to overcome latency, however the performance of VDI over the internet with high latency and dropouts was abysmal.

So Akamai deployed IPA to accelerate the VDI data streams, overcome BGP paths by choosing the best path across the Akamai global network, perform forward error correction and a product called EAA to securely publish the VDI applications behind a multi factor authentication portal for secure access.

Feedback from users in UK (normal latency 350-400ms) expressed that the performance of the RDP applications was as fast as running the applications on a server locally.

If you’re interested in the cost for this.
For IPA, it’s based on the average throughput of traffic over a period of a month.
For EAA: it’s the number of applications and number of unique users per month.
All of this is delivered as a cloud service, so no equipment or software to be installed at the branch locations. So the costs are quite a lot lower than buying hardware and dedicated private links.

This can be deployed across any internet connection and works well with SDWAN.
Riverbed actually uses Akamai’s network and intelligence when they deploy steelheads for accelerating SAAS applications like Office365.

In terms of private, vs satellite vs internet links. I was onsite at a multinational company who had private mpls links globally, when the traffic failed over to the internet DMVPN as a backup, the latency was significantly lower. 300ms down to 180 ms between Sydney and US.

Info on IPA [IP Accelerator] https://www.akamai.com/uk/en/products/web-performance/ip-application-accelerator.jsp
EAA [Enterprise Application Access] https://www.akamai.com/us/en/products/cloud-security/enterprise-application-access.jsp

James.