[AusNOG] Victorian Police - internal assistance??

Ross Wheeler ausnog at rossw.net
Wed Aug 30 11:04:57 EST 2017

*Still shaking my head in disbelief*

Just had a call from a local police officer. Identified himself and his
station, investigating a suicide. (Not sure why I had to know that, but
anyway).

Needed some "technical assistance".

"Is everyone in the same house going to have the same ISP number?"
*blink*
"What I mean is, the guys computer was on wifi, will it have the same ISP
number as other people in the house?"

Took a moment to figure out... "Do you mean IP Address?".

"Yes, ISP address number"

"He may have called lifeline, they keep all the details"...

Surely these guys must have some internal department or at least a book of
"technical terms for dummies" for this stuff? Worries me that he'll go to
someone else in the house, get their "ISP number" from the computer
network settings, and trot off to Lifeline with a 192.168.1.x address for
them to look for...

Justice cannot be done when people are this ignorant... to I try to call
back and point them to some "clue department" that can give him a hand?
(If so, anyone know a department/number/process that's appropriate?)