[AusNOG] Switch installation in data centre racks - front facing, or rear facing?

Tue Aug 29 15:18:00 EST 2017

We tend to place our switches rear facing for easier cabling. The
biggest issue we have you've already covered, racking/unracking switches
in a full rack.

Had to do it the other week, was the biggest PITA. Couldn't get the ears
back onto the switch, luckily it turns out R620's work really well as a
shelf :)

Most switches allow you to take the fan modules out and switch them with
reverse flow ones, however we haven't had to do this with any of our
equipment (just doesn't get hot enough).