[AusNOG] QoS on Internet traffic

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Fri Aug 18 17:41:45 EST 2017

Not quite what I was getting at.

I mean, sure, it’s going to be dependent on his customer demands; but if Tony nails up peering with each large cloud provider and DSCP marks all traffic on ingress from peering links, he can drop that traffic into a queue that has slightly higher priority than internet traffic.

Then inbound cloud traffic (eg videoconferencing) will win over Windows Updates, without any need for DPI (which probably won’t work for him anyway, because most of the cloud traffic will be encrypted, secured with certificates for which he doesn’t have the keys)

There are no doubt other solutions here. But fundamentally I think the problem is with the product definition, not with any significant technical complexity.

     - mark