[AusNOG] NextDC Melbourne - Scheduled Power Maintenance -, 15th August

Jared Hirst jared.hirst at serversaustralia.com.au
Sat Aug 12 18:25:47 EST 2017

I think it’s more the fact that they will be losing power for 8 hours on the A side.

But yes, always best practice to have A and B, however, this is not always suitable in certain circumstances. For example in one facility we have dedicated servers in, we have A only. We know the risks of it as does the clients buying those services.

Simon, thanks for the explanation. I guess this is a decision you take as a DC operator that is again, not the law, but a OH & S precaution. As none of those standards advise that the boards need to be de energised to perform the work.

Both Global Switch and Equinix do this live or without interruption, as both sites that I have been in have never had an A or B interruption during annual maintenance.

Regards,

Jared Hirst
Servers Australia Pty Ltd
Phone: +61 2 8115 8801