[AusNOG] Metadata breach. No, it can't be true.

Brad Gould brad.gould at gmail.com
Fri Apr 28 16:59:04 EST 2017

I thought that the "breach" was that the AFP had, inadvertently, captured
metadata about a Journalist, and that the active TIA warrant they were
working under did not have provision for such – as that is a special case
per the Act – a " Journalist Information Warrant".

The warrant was for an AFP officer's communication, who happened to call a
Journalist and therefor triggered a "breach".

It would seem that it is hard to know, either in advance, or without
examining the historical call records, who someone would call or has called.

Given there was an AFP press conference about it, with the Commissioner no
less (and not just a media release) I'm thinking that AFP are currently
lobbying for further change to the TIA Act to make this accidental
collection legal.