[AusNOG] NBN Commsday Presentation

Mark Delany g2x at juliet.emu.st
Thu Apr 20 14:43:41 EST 2017

> > People love to say this, but according to the latest ACCC
> > telecommunications report, 97+% of traffic is delivered over fixed
> > line networks and that ratio has more or less remained the same for
> > the last 5 years.
>

> Last September one of our big three carriers announced that they had 18% more mobile data than fixed data, in August 2016 they transferred 27000 TB over fixed broadband and 32000 TB over mobile broadband (mainly 4G).
>
> Over here we don't have data caps, not even in mobile.  Fixed availability varies but for example our previous home had gigabit option from three different carriers and one had up to 350 Mbit/s available, all using their own infrastructure.  When we moved to the new place, I was bummed because the only options where two 100M VDSL or gigabit HFC, which I got and it has been performing well (850-900+ every time I've tested, latency 7-8 ms).  Even have native ipv6 (dhcpv6-pd) now.
>
> I'm not saying that wireless is the answer nor that I'd want it myself but it's not as bad as people think, not even from the carrier perspective.

Oh, I never meant to imply bad. I was simply quoting the actual
figures vs what people do believe or want to believe. It's never been
an either/or situation but the trend doesn't suggest that wireless is
going to replace fixed-line anytime soon.

The only trend I'm sure of is that we're all trying to squeeze as much
bandwidth out of *every* medium we can.

Mark.