[AusNOG] NBN Commsday Presentation

Bevan Slattery bevan at slattery.net.au
Thu Apr 20 12:30:03 EST 2017

Hi Mark,

What I'm saying/thinking is that if NBN Co. could provide a "safety net"
from a backhaul/CVC standpoint that could make sense.

For example you don't want to make this EXCLUSIVE 14 PoI's.  What you could
do is provide a CVC fee for accessing at the normal PoI but also say a
Aggregated CVC fee (local/121 PoI CVC + say $3/mbps) for hauling the
circuit back to the capital city.

This would:

(a) provide protection for those that have invested in backhaul
(b) provide a path for ISP's to build critical mass before building out to
a PoI (removing barriers)
(c) allow providers who build scale to do PoI capacity backhaul deals where
there is competing markets
(d) allow potential backhaul investment when a backhaul provider can get
enough business case up to support it
(e) provides tax payers/NBN users great choice of ISP providers

It should be both BUT it should ABSOLUTELY NOT BE ONLY 14 PoI's. That would
be a complete disaster.

Cheers

[b]