[AusNOG] ADSL2+ throughput ncrease

Giles Pollock glp71s at gmail.com
Tue Apr 18 14:02:58 EST 2017

I'm going to go with the theory that for every win there is a fail
somewhere... Same thing applies to tangled headphones (when you untangle
yours, someone elses tangles up in response to maintain the balance!)

I've just had the glorious fun of losing ADSL sync entirely after
previously 18mbit DS and 1mbit US. Blame seems to lie squarely with rotten
copper as the outage lines up exactly with the heavy rain from weeks ago.

Unfortunately the service quality of my ISP in dealing with such issues
seems to have dropped significantly in the last year or so, so I've now
been without workable service for more than two weeks on a business grade
connection.

Had VisionStream out twice so far, first time rejointed in the pit, second
time tested my ports and couldn't find a fault. As expected it was a
gloriously warm dry day and my sync reestablished on its own a few hours
before. The next day it rained again and like the sunlight, my sync
promptly disappeared again.

Apparently another, level two tech is to attend at some undefined point in
the future to perform further tests. The fact its taken so long to fail to
restore service to a business connection is making me rather disappointed
in the ISP in question.

tl;dr
Minor gripe about loss of service. Coming to the conclusion that copper
gremlins only allow a certain percentage of good working connections at any
one time :P