[AusNOG] Cost effectively providing Ethernet pseudowire services

Mark Smith markzzzsmith at gmail.com
Fri Apr 14 16:50:59 EST 2017

The CLI is a bit different on those boxes, but I wouldn't say it sucks.

One key concept with is a bit different to other vendors gear is that
they encode a customer object/configuration in the CLI, and then bind
all of the settings/parameters to it. That means you can do things
like ask the CLI, for customer's X's services, what are the
interfaces/sub-interfaces being used for them, what the ACLs are etc.

One thing they've done well with those is SNMP support, as if I recall
correctly (it's been a number of years), their OSS platform uses
SNMPv3 to configure everything. I think I did an SNMP walk on one of
those in around 2013 and it came back with 18 000+ objects.

ALU got all that stuff from Timetra that they bought for $150M in
2003. That investment will have paid back in spades.

On 14 April 2017 at 16:09, Tony Wicks <tony at wicks.co.nz> wrote:
> https://networks.nokia.com/products/7210-service-access-switch
>

> The CLI sucks, but they work well for the price point.

The CLI is a bit different on those boxes, but I wouldn't say it sucks.

One key concept with is a bit different to other vendors gear is that
they encode a customer object/configuration in the CLI, and then bind
all of the settings/parameters to it. That means you can do things
like ask the CLI, for customer's X's services, what are the
interfaces/sub-interfaces being used for them, what the ACLs are etc.

One thing they've done well with those is SNMP support, as if I recall
correctly (it's been a number of years), the OSS platform uses SNMPv3
to configure everything. I think I did an SNMP walk on one of those
SAS platforms in around 2013 and it came back with 18 000+ objects.