[AusNOG] Azure now supporting Ipv6

Mark Andrews marka at isc.org
Thu Sep 29 09:26:04 EST 2016

Now for them to use EDNS compliant nameservers.  How hard is it to
check that your nameservers actually follow the EDNS protocol.

harveynorman.com.au @40.90.4.5 (ns1-05.azure-dns.com.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=status edns at 512=ok ednsopt=echoed edns1opt=status do=ok ednsflags=ok edns at 512tcp=ok optlist=subnet
harveynorman.com.au @64.4.48.5 (ns2-05.azure-dns.net.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=status edns at 512=ok ednsopt=echoed edns1opt=status do=ok ednsflags=ok edns at 512tcp=ok optlist=subnet
harveynorman.com.au @13.107.24.5 (ns3-05.azure-dns.org.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=status edns at 512=ok ednsopt=echoed edns1opt=status do=ok ednsflags=ok edns at 512tcp=ok optlist=subnet
harveynorman.com.au @13.107.160.5 (ns4-05.azure-dns.info.): dns=ok edns=ok edns1=status edns at 512=ok ednsopt=echoed edns1opt=status do=ok ednsflags=ok edns at 512tcp=ok optlist=subnet

There are only 3 possible extension mechanisms and all 3 have
instuctions on how to handle requests using those extension mechanisms
that you don't know about.  See RFC 6891.

EDNS version increase -> return BADVERS with the highest version you support
EDNS option -> ignore options you do not understand (don't copy them into the response)
EDNS flags -> ignore flags you do not understand (don't copy them into the response)

This misbehaviour already means that it has become impossible to
count how many servers support the ECS option.

Please check your servers to ensure that they are EDNS compliant
and if they are not FIX them.  Only 60% of Australian DNS servers
that nominally support EDNS are actually EDNS compliant.

https://ednscomp.isc.org/ednscomp/

Two of the extension mechanisms are in use today.  Queries from
recursive servers do have EDNS options present and they do have
EDNS flag bits set.  There is zero reason not to expect all three
extension mechanism will be used in the future.

Only idiots drop DNS queries with EDNS extension present.  Even the
firewall vendors are removing code that does so.  EDNS was designed
to allow clients to start using now options, flags and versions
without having to upgrade the servers and if you DNS server is EDNS
compliant they will cause you no harm.

Just because a EDNS option, flag or version is defined, it doesn't
mean you have to support it.  You do however need to correctly
respond to it.

Mark

--
Mark Andrews, ISC