[AusNOG] Ransomware...

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 14:50:40 EST 2016

Well I think part of the problem is that businesses have been conned into
investing billion of dollars into the internet, on the false premise that
the IP model was capable of delivering a safe and secure commercial
environment. While neglecting that the internet was built to facilitate
open communication, that the architecture was necessarily a compromise of
openness for security, and no one anticipated that state operators would
make the internet a domain for undermining Western economies, or that the
consequent profits would bankroll the exercise. All the security products
on the market are a band aid patch, which won't fix the fundamental problem
of delivering end to end security. That's only going to happen when and if
there is a complete rethink of the internet architecture, and replacement
of IP with a network protocol that can deliver end to end security. Which
is to say, we have years to look forward to of high profile hacks and
finger pointing.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins