[AusNOG] Ransomware...

Paul Wilkins paulwilkins369 at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 11:13:33 EST 2016

I can't accept that Steve. Company directors have social, moral, and legal
responsibilities, apart from their duty to shareholders.

To simply say a situation in extremis justifies unethical behaviour I would
suggest neglects the bigger picture. The point is, do your due diligence
preemptively, and you won't be talking about which morally ambiguous path
you want to walk down.

Interestingly, government are looking closely at mandatory disclosures for
security breaches, and this is a consideration. Also there are mandatory
disclosure laws around dispersions, and I wonder how it will look as
"Sundry Security Item" on the annual accounts.

Kind regards

Paul Wilkins

On 23 September 2016 at 23:01, Skeeve Stevens <
skeeve+ausnog at eintellegonetworks.com> wrote:

> Paul,
>
> This is such an ignorant thing to say and only said by someone who
> obviously has their own bias as a priority as opposed to the best thing for
> the company. Running a company isn't about you, but the best thing for it.
> Get over yourself.
>
> ...Skeeve
>
> *Skeeve Stevens - Founder & The Architect* - eintellego Networks Pty Ltd
> Email: skeeve at eintellegonetworks.com ; Web: eintellegonetworks.com
>
> Cell +61 (0)414 753 383 ; Skype: skeeve ; LinkedIn: /in/skeeve
> <http://linkedin.com/in/skeeve> ; Expert360: Profile
> <https://expert360.com/profile/d54a9> ; Keybase: https://keybase.io/skeeve
>
> On Fri, Sep 23, 2016 at 12:48 PM, Paul Wilkins <paulwilkins369 at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Obviously it would be deplorable for anyone in a position of authority
>> (eg. company directors) to countenance making payments to extortionists.
>> Cyber extortion is a business, and if through the company's and the
>> directors incompetence they have become exposed, they should suck it up.
>> I'm appalled anyone would actually consider allowing their company's
>> reputation to be drawn within the gravity of a criminal business model. And
>> we won't advise our customers of the breach, no, we'll just quietly keep
>> our heads down and not admit we've exposed customer data to criminal
>> enterprise.
>>
>> Kind regards
>>
>> Paul Wilkins
>>
>> On 23 September 2016 at 10:18, James Warne <jwarne at vigilant.it> wrote:
>>
>>> I used this service called Dr Web to remove the decryption from a
>>> Friend’s parents computer.
>>>

>>> Ended up being about $200 AUD and got everything back…
>>>

>>> https://support.drweb.com/new/free_unlocker/for_decode/?lng=en

>>> heart-hospital-hit-with-ransomware-paid-but-attackers-demand