[AusNOG] Ransomware...

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Sat Sep 24 10:26:48 EST 2016

The way it works in the real world Skeeve is that we ask "Do you have
backups?", and then even if the answer is no, we investigate, because
sometimes users aren't aware of things like VSS.

But then we also say "And our advice is that no matter where this
individual event may lead us, that we look at implementing a new/more
appropriate backup and recovery solution to ensure that if this happens
again, you are in a better situation."

And if that advice is ignored, I would personally stop servicing the client
after the current issue is dealt with, or look for another employer.
Because if sensible advice is being ignored, I would rather be elsewhere,
instead of being the one desperately trying to recover data at 4am the next
time it happens.

That you actually think that we say "you didn't have backups, haha!" and
not help? That says more about you than it does about us.