[AusNOG] Why you should clean fibre..

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Thu Sep 22 06:44:28 EST 2016

Hi Kim & list,

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 12:53 AM, Kim Pearce <kim.pearce at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Clean all new fibres when they come out of the bag. You can’t be sure
> they are clean."
>
> ...for reals?

I used to doubt this also, so once I got a scope (highly recommend a USB
one so you aren't ever in the position of looking down a fibre with your
(remaining) eye btw) I started having a look - and yes, you can't assume
they are clean. It varied from manufacturer to manufacturer but nobody had
100% useable out of the bag.

This is why the advice is 'inspect first, then clean'. If you aren't
inspecting the fibre, how do you know if it needs cleaning, and how do you
know if the cleaning has been successful?

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 1:16 AM, Kim Pearce <kim.pearce at gmail.com> wrote:

>> The recommendations to use cotton swabs seems a bit off - lint and
>> threads can't be good.

The cotton swabs they are talking about using are design for cleaning
fibre. They come in LC and SC sized versions.

I wouldn't be using the ones you get from the supermarket, no :)

Sam