[AusNOG] Telstra Wireless IPv6 Deployment

Sunny Yeung xevious60 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 21 10:01:15 EST 2016

Hello AusNOGgers

I hope everyone who has been able to get onto IPv6 on Telstra are having a
good experience. We have not had any major issues come back to us so far,
but are keeping an eye out for the unexpected.

Our friendly device team wants to remind everyone, although you service may
be provisioned with IPv4v6, if you have an existing or legacy device, it
may not work with IPv6. Users change configs do so at their own risk until
we launch devices as IPv4v6 certified.

We are definitely seeing a takeup of IPv6 address usage on our end after
launch. Not alot, but it is an upwards trend.

Also just some technical information, some of you may be mixing up the
VoLTE IPv6 address with the 'internet' IPv6 allocation. if you are on a
VoLTE handset, you are receiving an IPv6 address for VoLTE to work only on
the 'ims' APN. for internet IPv6 to work, you need to configure and
provision for IPv6 on telstra.wap or telstra.internet.

Sunny