[AusNOG] Complexity is not an excuse for an industry-wide cop-out (was Conroy quit.)

Tony Wicks tony at wicks.co.nz
Wed Sep 21 07:02:48 EST 2016

I would say the key difference is the Telecom (aka Telstra) monopoly was broken a lot earlier. I was amazed a few years ago when I was helping out a service provider in Melbourne to find out they could only get a 100meg circuit from their datacentre to their office, and it cost almost twice what a dark fibre would have cost in NZ (which would have been the go to choice). Also, TBH, there is a bit of a different attitude from what I have seen, in general the retail service provider here will try and hand the customer as many bits as possible so they are happy and don't call the helpdesk which costs me money, as opposed to the well you are on this plan so that means you get an average allocation of X times Kb/s like it or not.