[AusNOG] Complexity is not an excuse for an industry-wide cop-out (was Re: Conroy quit.)

Chris Brown cbbrown at gmail.com
Sat Sep 17 14:41:12 EST 2016

On 17 September 2016 at 10:45, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:

> The practical effect of the NBN has been (and will continue to be) to
> mostly destroy innovation with respect to speed.

Do people really care about speed in terms of numbers? I'd say they care
about functionality. I want my Netflix to start instantly and in HD - every
time. I don't really care how or why - thats why I pay the ISP.  People
realise that if they want 4 of their AppleTV's to do that at the same time
they need to pay a little more.

I only run a speedtest when things aren't doing what i want at that point
in time and I don't really care if SpeedTest shows me 103Mbit/s from Alaska
if at the same time I'm staring at iTunes telling me my movie will start
playing in 43 hours. That means designing your networks to support this
traffic from the customer  all the way to the content, including doing
what's needed to move that content closer and making sure it works properly
all the time (rapid dns, etc)

Chris.