[AusNOG] And for the government's next Hair-brained Scheme

Mark Newton newton at atdot.dotat.org
Wed Sep 14 09:52:19 EST 2016

Treasury denies it.
http://www.zdnet.com/article/ato-unlikely-to-block-websites-that-dont-charge-gst-treasurer/ <http://www.zdnet.com/article/ato-unlikely-to-block-websites-that-dont-charge-gst-treasurer/>

Given that the only source cited in the original article was a Choice press release, I’m inclined to believe them.

There’s no legal requirement for a company that isn’t in Australia to give a crap about Australia’s tax laws anyway, even if they pass, which this one hasn't (can you imagine the hilarity in a boardroom when the find out that the Australian Government wants them to register for GST and submit a BAS?)

This is all just emotion emissions to keep the punters and the Retail Traders Association happy and make everyone think the Government is doing something.

   -mark