[AusNOG] Best roundtrip latency to Israel?

Tin, James jtin at akamai.com
Tue Sep 13 14:38:50 EST 2016

Clay, what App or resources are you accessing or providing?
As someone mentioned, if terminal services, you can use VMware’s PCOIP for delivery over UDP, this overcomes the TCP inefficiencies but you need a lot of bandwidth capacity.

Depending on your budget there are some solutions to address the poor user experience, poor throughput and lack of control over the internet.

There are some technologies which run some races over diverse paths and will map across the internet, then choose the best path based on performance, packet loss etc.
There is also wan optimisation such that if you do lose a packet, the packet will be rebuilt based upon additional parity bits (Forward Error Correction).
Additionally, the traffic can be delivered over the internet using UDP instead of TCP, which overcomes the TCP performance problems.
The 3 solutions combined will make a massive difference for performance.

Riverbed has some of this and uses Sure Route from Akamai Technologies.
Akamai has all 3 capabilities built into IP Accelerator which does FEC, Sure Route, delivery over UDP, TCP optimisatation, you access their network in the source and destination countries and rely upon their global platform for delivery (so any loss is retransmitted locally at each end as a full proxy, DSA and their web acceleration products.
Cisco also has something along these lines.
There are also solutions from Silver Peak and Citrix which provide FEC, but rely upon BGP.
Some telco’s are going to be offering this as a premium service based on Akamai’s technology.

So depending on your app and your budget, there are a number of ways to address this without digging up the earth of deploying your own super expensive private link for part of the connectivity.

J/