[AusNOG] NZ Chorus - It's time we're a Gignation

Paul Brooks paul.brooks at tridentsc.com.au
Thu Sep 8 09:52:36 EST 2016

It already is....all the ports on all the NBN CPE are GigE capable. We can have the same thing with a few keystrokes into the billing system, no infrastructure change required...just a change of accounting.

It's all GigE capable....the only difference is we're not using it like that. And what a difference between this in NZ, and the shitstorm here when Quigley announced it was all GigE capable back in the day.

On 8 September 2016 6:48:03 AM GMT+08:00, Mark Newton <newton at atdot.dotat.org> wrote:
>On Sep 8, 2016, at 8:07 AM, Mark Andrews <marka at isc.org> wrote:
>
>> This is where the NBN went wrong from day 1.  It should have just
>> delivered 1G for all the fibre services.  There was never any need
>> to do multiple speeds.  Pay for the bits delivered.
>

>Aren’t the bits already being paid for if there’s a billing model based
>on the CPE port CIR?
>
>The CVC is a bigger deal for the NBN: Financial engineering to produce
>artificial scarcity. Because clearly that’s what all the customers,
>ISPs, politicians, and voters actually wanted.
>
>  - mark

Paul Brooks
Trident Subsea Cables

Sent unplugged